WordPress is what is called a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL database. Its founder, Matt Mullenweg, first released it back on May 27, 2003.
As described on their website, WordPress is a:
…web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
It was originally created as a blogging software but because of the open source community, it has evolved into a more powerful tool that even large corporations use. It has been designed so that users can manage the contents on their websites without having any programming knowledge. Because of the rapid growth of people using WordPress, they are constantly making improvements and innovations.
At the time of writing this, it is estimated that WordPress powers 15% of the top one million websites on the Internet. It’s also estimated that WordPress powers 22% of all new websites on the Internet. That includes blogs, websites, and e-commerce sites.
So who uses WordPress? There is an extensive list of users ranging from large corporations to A-list celebrities that include:
You load WordPress onto your own server or onto a server space provided to you by a web hosting company such as DreamHost. Through the administration panel, you can create new pages, upload media files and post articles without knowing any coding whatsoever.
It’s actually very simple to use. After logging in you have complete control of your site in the administration panel also called dashboard. Listed below are just some of the things you can do to your site through Dashboard.
- Upload different themes and change the way your website looks and feels.
- Add new contents to your site by creating new pages and posts.
- Keep all your posts arranged in a chronological order.
- Ability to have multiple users to edit your site.
- Upload various media files as needed.
- Ability to offer extra functionality through plugins.
- As an end-user, you have the choice to make edits anytime you want without having to hire a designer as is the case if you have a static website.